To spread the culture of protecting the environment, a Pakistani expatriate living in Al Khor turns wastage into beautiful masterpieces of art. 

Shabbir Siddiqui (pictured), a Pakistani expat living in Qatar for 22 years, works with a reputed organisation as a telecom analyst.  Talking to The Peninsula, Shabbir said: “You can call it handicraft or model making. I use my own technique and have named it “Wirogation”, an art form made from old wires and corrugated sheets.”

Further describing his work, he says that shapes are created by “slot in” hard wires into the thin channels of corrugated sheets and then turning them into required curves and shapes. “I start from a fresh idea, then draw my imagination on a large paper sheet, cut the shape and then transfer the shape on the cardboard.”

“After the basic shape is formed, then the surface has to be covered by a strong layer of curved cardboards. Strengthened by hard wires, it takes four to five months to make a large pitcher,” he added. Siddiqui started his work fourteen years back in 2004, and created many art models. He lost touch with art 4-5 years ago due to his official responsibilities and workload.

shabbir-siddiqui-art

Source: Peninsula Qatar

However, now he has started again with the same passion. The basic concept of this form of his work is to spread the message of “protect the environment” by re-using waste material. One of the options is to reuse the waste and convert it into an art piece.

“Mainly we need to train our youth and young generations to familiarize them with the upcoming challenges of global warming and shortage of water resources. By involving them into such healthy activities, awareness level will increase; they will be ready to tackle environmental issues and how to deal with future challenges,” said Shabbir.

Siddiqui has been contributing to the community since he started this artwork as a hobby. He conducted three-month-long art classes. His artwork has been exhibited in Doha and Al Khor.

He further added, “I have conducted a three-month duration art class in years 2006 – 2007. Art classes comprised of a comprehensive package that covered topics such as model and crafts training, learning how to protect the environment by recycling the waste and converting them into art, learning how to work safely, learning teamwork and joint efforts, learning and developing positive attitudes, housekeeping and traditional Arab art crafts and models.”

Shabbir plans to take part in 2022 FIFA World Cup by presenting his artwork and arranging workshops for young people to teach art with Qatari culture.

“We all work together not only in our professional filed but also participate in other healthy activities and cultural events. Qatar is one of the best places to live in; people here are very friendly and appreciate healthy activities. I received much appreciation and positive feedback from everyone that makes me more energetic,” said Siddiqui.

Shabbir expresses his affection towards artistic expression by saying: “I am not an artist but an art lover. This art has many aspects and reasons, the message is to protect the environment is above all, while it reflects Arabic and traditional culture.”

For more articles on Arts & Culture click here

Source: Peninsula Qatar