“Amazing” was how Gossip Girl alum Chace Crawford described the seventh edition of Ajyal Film Festival which marks his first visit to the Middle East.

Best known for his work on world famous television series ‘The Boys’ and ‘Gossip Girl’, Crawford was among the main guests who walked the red carpet at the Ajyal opening gala on Monday.

“I didn’t’ expect about the reaction from the crowd yesterday. Seeing all the kids was really cool. They love Gossip Girl, I guess.  There’s a lot of fans out there and it’s cool to see them excited about the festival,” Crawford told local media yesterday.

The American actor and producer reiterated his praise for the festival’s focus on providing platform for the young to take part in the festival as jurors.

“To see this film festival do a little bit different which is really imparting it to the younger generation, having them involved in the jury process which forces them really pay attention to films and learn how to think critically and form their own opinions is really cool,” he said.

American actor and producer Chace Crawford during the 7th Ajyal Film Festival opening Red Carpet at Katara Cultural Village on Monday. Pic: Baher Amin/The Peninsula (source: Peninsula Qatar)

On his thoughts about the festival slogan “Find Film, Find Life,” he underlined the importance of films in education and sparking conversations on things that matter.

“We’re talking today about how it’s important to have films that educate and force conversations as opposed to just being passive entertainment, and couple that with getting kids involved and introducing them to films and materials that they are not used to seeing, some more serious, probably more artistic type of filmmaking and storytelling that is different and conversations on real topics,” he said.

Compared to other film festivals he has attended, Crawford said Ajyal is amazing.

“I haven’t known a film festival that was nearly run as smoothly as this one. It’s just so amazing and the people have been so kind and everything is just run like clockwork. I can’t wait to have the Q&A tonight with the kids and see what their questions are. It’s been a really special experience. It’s very unique and I definitely want to come back,” he said.

After seeing some of the trailers of participating films from the region, he believed there is a lot of undiscovered talent here and was impressed of how passionate people here are in filmmaking.

On whether he is open for future partnership with Doha Film Institute, he said “Given the right opportunity, I would love to, and sort of bridging those worlds and coming and getting to work with people here would be really special. That would really be fun so I’m definitely open to that.”

Source: https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/20/11/2019/%E2%80%98Gossip-Girl%E2%80%99-star-Chace-Crawford-praises-Ajyal

More on Arts & Culture