You have setting sprays in pink bunnies, lotions in panda containers, lip balms in gummy bears and bubble tea sleeping masks! This skin-tertainment by the K-Beauty (Korean Beauty) industry is spurring an irresistible cuteness-overload-wave. An irresistible force, indeed!
Apart from being too cute to be ignored, the K-beauty industry is one of the ten biggest beauty markets around the world. With an estimated worth of over $13.1 billion in sales in 2018, according to Mintel, a global market intelligence agency. The country has caught the attention of the global beauty industry. They’ve provided innovative products using nontraditional ingredients like snail slime and bee venom extracts or improving the practicality through organic-content-rich face packs and cushion compact foundations.
Why the hype though?
K-beauty has taken the industry by storm likely because of their “skincare first” mentality. Each product seems to make a concentrated effort at improving your skin first and foremost, rather than just cloaking it. Their beauty aesthetic is different – focused more on health and hydration.
It’s all about nourishing your skin so it looks amazing without make-up, rather than the more Western approach of investing in products to cover it all up. Essentially, you’re feeding your skin with what it needs to repair itself helping you achieve a healthy look and be more confident in your own skin.
Why Should I Hop On The Bandwagon?
If skincare first isn’t enough, there are a lot more reasons why this industry is taking the world by storm. There are also plenty of reasons why you should probably introduce K-beauty into your routine. Here are just a few of them:
1. Cost-effectiveness: One of the common concerns while buying beauty products is its cost (Sigh.) Either they are too expensive to afford or too cheap to believe in their quality. The K-beauty industry has an infinite number of companies producing advanced & highly innovative products every single day. This is one major reason, why their products are cheaper compared to our typical beauty brands. The industry’s intense competition does not allow them to charge in gold.
2. Extra-ordinary Composition: Their composition label is really unique, as they use unusual yet very benefiting ingredients in their beauty products. Pearl, snail slime, bee venom, bamboo water and so on are just a few such unique benefiting ingredients.
3. Lesser side-effects: It is normal for first-time users to be skeptical regarding the use of Korean beauty products. But as these products have less of chemicals in their compositions, their scope of reacting adversely on your body is lesser. The natural composition makes it more reliable. Although, the universal rule of trying a product on a smaller part of your body and waiting for 24 hours to check for any adverse reaction, applies here as well. Knowing what suits your skin is important for any product to work for you.
4. Travel-Friendly: Korean Beauty Products in comparison to other beauty products, often have a travel version that makes it easy to carry them wherever you want. The texture, especially of the liquid makeup is especially taken care of in the travel version such that they don’t spill out easily.
5. Hydration is Key: Hydration is the main focus in Korean skincare. They emphasize hydration with every product, be it their toners, sheet masks, essence or sleeping masks – that are specifically used for hydration. The secret to achieving great skin is proper hydration. It makes your skin look younger, dewy and plumps it up making it look revived and elastic. Even if you do not plan on using Korean skincare products, make sure to focus on hydrating products as everything else will then fall into place.
If you eat, sleep and breathe beauty products, you are probably already searching for a Korean brand to try out! Go for it!
What’s Your Favourite K-Beauty Product? Let us know below.
By Jasmine Sharif @stylehappysmiles