Did you know that people spend about nine hours sitting each day? That is a recipe for disaster when it comes to health and fitness. One of the popular excuses to not working out is that “I just don’t have the time.” But that is just an excuse because anyone can achieve their fitness goals anytime, anywhere! Continue reading to find out how you can integrate workouts in the most sedentary conditions.
At your desk job
The desk is where work gets done. But its also where muscle strength deteriorates. While it is uncommonto just get up and go to the gym in the middle of an important task, simple exercises that can be done sitting are effective if done regularly.
- Shoulder Raises: Raise your shoulder to your ear and hold. Repeat while alternating shoulders.
- Arm Flapping: Bring your arms up and back and push as far as you can. And clap as you bring them forward. Repeat.
- Stretch your abdomen: Keeping your spine erect, move to the edge of your sit and stretch your arms upwards. Contract and relax your abdominal muscles. Repeat.
- Neck Stretches: Relax your back and drop your chin. Raise your chin up and bend your neck side to side.
- Shoulder curls: Straighten your back, cross your arms over your chest and tense your abdominal muscles. Then, curl your shoulders towards your hips. Hold and repeat.
Commuting can be a hassle when there is a traffic jam and you have been sitting in the same spot for forty-five minutes. Workouts below can make it a time spent wisely.
- Seat Pushes: Hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2 and grip a bit tightly bending your elbows loosely. Straighten your elbows and push against the steering wheel as you push back into the seat. Hold for 10 seconds, rest and repeat. This exercise is effective only if driving on a straight road.
- Calf Raises: Adjust your seat so that you have your knees at the right angle and your feet flat. Anything you have with you that can be used as a weight, put that on your knees and point your toes outwards so that your claves are flexed. Then put your feet flat again quickly. Repeat until you feel the burn. If you can’t, increase the weight.
- Glute Clenches: This exercise might interfere with your driving if you move your right leg. So, while keeping the right leg in place, relax your glutes and squeeze. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat.
- Triceps Pushes: With all the above exercises geared towards the driver, this one is perfect for people who are not. Sit straight, feet flat and knees at 90 degrees. Place your hands by your hips and flat on the seat with your elbows bent. Lift yourself up the seat a little and hold for 10 seconds. Rest for a bit and repeat.
Watching Netflix: Workout while you binge.
- Couch Crunches: Sit at the edge of the couch and press your lower back against it. Tighten your abs, lean back while extending legs.
- Couch Dips: Move to the edge of the couch with your hands by your side and walk feet out so butt is off the cushion. While doing this, keep back straight and bend your elbows.
- Couch Plank: Walk out feet while resting your elbow at the edge of the couch with shoulders straight. Straighten your leg and extend free arm above body. Hold for 15-30 second. Repeat.
- Couch Bridges: Lie straight on the couch with your abs tightened. Lift one leg up in the air as you squeeze your glutes and lift your hips.
In the spirit of Qatar Sports Day, try these activities to achieve your health goals as you go on with your day.
Written By: Bisrat Atalay Tasew
More from Sport & Fitness