Fall is right around the corner. What comes to mind first when you first think about fall?
The changing colors and falling leaves? Cooler temps and needing a sweater? The holidays and pumpkins?
I bet nutmeg is among the top fall things on your list.
It is a popular fall spice we all love. Did you know that it is also abundant in health benefits?
WHAT IS NUTMEG?
It is a commonly used spice that grows on an evergreen tree. It is native to Indonesia, however, it is also grown in other tropical areas of the world, including the Caribbean and Southern India. It is commonly enjoyed globally.
In the US, it is best known during the fall and winter time. Besides using it as a spice, the essential oils derived from its bark and leaves, as well as nutmeg butter are used in herbal medicine – and for good reason!
Nutmeg is abundant in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, including dietary fiber, magnesium, manganese, copper and B vitamins. It is so powerful that using even just a little bit can greatly benefit your health.
- Sleep: Research has shown that it can reduce insomnia and promote healthy sleep.
- Skin and acne: Studies have found that it can reduce inflammation of the skin and skin problems, including acne.
- Brain: Studies have shown that it can reduce the degradation of natural pathways in cognitive functioning, reducing the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s and helping optimal brain function.
- Diarrhea: Science has shown that it is beneficial for your digestion and can reduce the risk of diarrhea.
- Digestion: Research has found that it can promote the peristaltic motion in the smooth muscles of your intestines, promoting healthy digestion. All the fiber can also prevent constipation and digestive troubles.
- Oral health: According to science, it is highly antibacterial, can fight bad breath and help oral health.
- Detoxification: According to research, it can help to detoxify your organs and relieve kidney stones.
- Pain relief: Research has found that it can help with wounds, injuries, chronic inflammation and arthritis.
- Blood pressure: According to research, it can lower your blood pressure, preventing cardiovascular illness, heart attacks and strokes.
- Depression and anxiety: Research shows that it is excellent for brain and mental health.
HOW SHOULD I USE NUTMEG?
It is a spice you need only a little of to enjoy the taste and experience its benefits. You can easily add it to baked goods, raw desserts, coffee, hot chocolate, and warm dishes.
It is most commonly used as a spice. You can buy nutmeg as a spice at any grocery store, health food store, spice shop, or online. Some superfood mixes, such as Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice also include nutmeg for its powerful benefits.
ORGANIFI PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE GOLD
Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice is a delicious superfood drink mix that promotes relaxation, sleep and overall health. Along with nutmeg, it includes many powerful superfoods, such as reishi, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and turkey tail. Mix it with a cup of warm nut milk to create the perfect fall drink.
Nutmeg With Milk And Honey
- 1 cup of coconut milk, almond milk, or preferred plant milk
- 1 tbsp of organic raw honey
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Tip: for a fall pumpkin spice flavor and bonus superfood benefits, add 1 serving of Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice instead of 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- ½ cup coffee beans
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ vanilla beans, coarsely chopped
- Ground the coffee and vanilla beans.
- Add all ingredients to your coffee maker and brew your coffee.
Coffee With Organifi
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 tbsp of Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice
- Mix ingredients together and enjoy.
- 2 cups of raw, unsalted cashew, soaked
- 2 cups of young coconut meat
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Drain your soaked cashews. Discard the liquid.
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds on high until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Taste. Add more maple syrup, vanilla, or nutmeg if you desire. Blend again if you’ve added more ingredients.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge, then put it in your ice cream maker. Make it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a loaf or container and freeze for 8 hours until firm. Keep it in the freezer.
- Tip: For a pumpkin spice flavor, use Organifi Pumpkin Spice Latte GOLD instead of or in addition to nutmeg.
Ice Cream With Bananas
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Optional for pumpkin Spice Flavor: 1 tbsp of Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice
- Blend all ingredients well in a high-speed blender. Enjoy right away.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Can they go bad?
A. The shelf life of nutmeg depends on the storage conditions. Kept in a cool pantry, it can last 3-5 years. You can tell if it has gone bad when it loses its vibrant color and aroma.
Q. Are nutmeg and mace the same thing?
A. They are not the same, but the closest substitute to each other in cooking and baking.
Q. Are nutmeg and cinnamon similar?
A. No, they are not the same and have different flavors, however, they are often used together in the same recipes.
Q. How is they made?
A. It is made of the seed of the evergreen nutmeg tree.
Q. Is it safe when pregnant?
A. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should avoid large quantities of nutmeg. Over 7.5 grams consumed can have hallucinogen effects on fetuses. Talk to your doctor to see if nutmeg in any amount is right for you.
Nutmeg is a commonly used, delicious and powerful spice with countless nutritional and health benefits. The best way to enjoy it this season is by drinking our Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice, powered by nutmeg. Are you in?
What is your favorite recipe using nutmeg? Are you excited to try Organifi Gold, Pumpkin Spice? Share your answers below, we would love to hear from you.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.