Didn’t fix your hair care appointment this month? No problem. You don’t even need to go as far as the spa—just the kitchen! Keep reading for one of our favorites (definitely quirkiest)—and the easiest DIY hair treatment.
What is it?
Mayo makes for a great addition to any sandwich, a reliable kitchen ingredient, and, um, the secret to glossy, shiny hair.
Yes, you read that right. Believe it or not, washing your hair with mayonnaise is rumored to enrich your strands with oil and make them glossier and shinier than ever. Mayonnaise has all the ingredients you would need for a perfect hair mask – eggs, vinegar, oil – it’s got it all!
Process (you will need 1 cup of “full fat” mayonnaise)
- Dampen your hair (you can apply this on dry hair as well)
2. Take one cup of mayonnaise and apply it starting from your scalp to ends.
3. Give yourself a good hair massage. Make sure you massage outwards from roots to end.
4. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and thoroughly wash your hair after that (you can cover your hair with a warm soaked towel while it sits with the mask).
5. Use a gentle moisturizing shampoo that cleanses your hair well without drying it out.
Hair benefits of Mayonnaise
- Hair Growth
As mentioned, Mayonnaise contains egg yolks, vinegar, and oils that work together to nourish and moisturize your hair. The presence of L-cysteine, an amino acid, in mayonnaise helps it nourish your scalp to promote healthy hair growth.
- Conditioning Treatment
Because of its rich content of amino acids and nourishing oils, mayonnaise is one of the best ingredients you could use to condition your hair.
- Treats Dandruff
Mayonnaise contains vinegar which is an effective ingredient for balancing the scalp’s pH levels and oil production. Excessive oil production is one of the leading causes for dandruff. Using mayonnaise soothes the scalp while unclogging and tightening the follicles. This helps curb dandruff.
- Calms Frizzy Hair
Mayonnaise helps seal the hair’s cuticle shut which keeps moisture from the atmosphere from sneaking into your hair shaft. This keeps your hair calm and smooth.
- Hair Straightening
Mayonnaise cannot break the bonds in curly hair to straighten it like with a rebonding treatment. But with regular use, it can definitely smoothen frizzy hair and make it appear straighter.
- Don’t overdo it. Apply optimal amount of Mayo to avoid having too much product that ultimately becomes impossible to ward off with a single wash! No one likes a greasy afterlook!
- If you have really dry, brittle and damaged hair, try this mask twice a month. Otherwise, using it once a month should do.
- Like any other hair/skin regime, always do a test patch and wait for 24 hours to check if your body is allergic to any of the ingredients.
I know you would be a bit apprehensive to try this because I sure was. But trust me, the results are totally worth it. And did you know Blake Lively, the epitome of shiny, glossy, gorgeous hair, also applies mayonnaise to her flawless strands? Yep, it’s a tip the actor inherited from her mom!
We’ve already done our experiment. Take your turn. We bet you will not regret this.
For more beauty articles click here
By Jasmine Sharif @stylehappysmiles