The new Google extension for Netflix lets you chat with friends while watching shows and movies apart from each other.
Read on for how to download, install and use the Netflix Party extension to sync your movie-watching with family and friends.
Netflix Party comes at a time when countries around the world are urging social distancing and self-quarantine as methods to stem the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Step 1 : Everyone in your group needs a Netflix account
In order for this to work, everyone you send an invite to will need to have access to Netflix. If they don’t have an account, Netflix is offering a free 30-day trial for new subscribers.
Step 2 : Download the Google extension
After everyone has signed up for Netflix or logged in on their computers, they’ll need to download the Netflix Party extension. Here’s how.
1. Visit netflixparty.com on your Google Chrome browser.
2. Click Get Netflix Party for free.
3. You’ll be redirected to the Google Chrome web store page to download the extension. Click Add to Chrome.
4. A pop-up box will open. Select Add Extension. You’ll now see a grey NP icon in your browser toolbar.
Step 3: Start watching movies with friends
Now that you’ve got the extension downloaded, you can begin watching shows and movies with your friends and family. Here’s how to get started.
1. Open a new tab in your Google Chrome browser and log in to Netflix.
2. Find a show or movie you’d like to watch and click on it.
3. You’ll now see that the NP (Netflix Party) icon has changed from grey to red. Click the icon and select Start the party. You’ll become the host, so you can either select the option for you to be the only controller for pausing and playing the show, or you can let anyone take control.
4. Copy the URL from the pop-up box and send it to everyone you want to invite to the group.
5. The chatroom will appear on the right side of the screen. From there, you’ll be able to see when someone joins the party.
6. Now you can laugh, cry and howl with your family and friends, and feel a little less on your own.
More on Movies & Music