- 12 ounces uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook sausage and red onion until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Add fennel, mushrooms and garlic; cook until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add Swiss chard; cook and stir until wilted, 4-5 minutes longer.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. In a large bowl, combine pasta, sausage mixture, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, adding enough reserved pasta water to coat pasta and create a creamy texture. Serve with remaining cheese and pine nuts.
Test Kitchen tips
- Spicy Italian sausage also would complement the flavors in this dish.
- The pasta absorbs the cooking liquid quickly, so serve immediately for the best texture.
Health tip: Lighten up this dish by using turkey Italian sausage, and add fiber with whole wheat orecchiette instead of white pasta.
1-1/3 cups: 487 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 726mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.