- Prep: 30 MIN
- Total: 1 HR 5 MIN
- Servings: 36
Dessert ready in about an hour! Enjoy classic date filled bars in a new way – a wonderful treat.
3 cups chopped pitted dates (1 lb)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cups all-purpose* or whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook filling ingredients over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with shortening.
- In large bowl, stir brown sugar and butter until well mixed. Stir in flour, oats, baking soda and salt until crumbly. Press half of the crumb mixture evenly in bottom of pan. Spread with filling. Top with remaining crumb mixture; press lightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Cut into 6 rows by 6 rows while warm.
- If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.
- Substitute 3 cups chopped pitted dried figs for the dates.