A perfect way to use up leftover chicken, this bulgur wheat salad is studded with chickpeas, courgettes, peppers, tomatoes and carrots, which are roasted until caramelized and flavored with the classic combination of garlic, thyme and lemon.
- 2 carrots, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 peppers, deseeded and cut into large square pieces
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2cm-thick slices, or 6-8 whole baby courgettes
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 handful of baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 500ml of water
- 150g of bulgur wheat
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
- Place the carrots, peppers, courgettes, onions and garlic in a roasting tray. Sprinkle with oil, scatter over the thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and caramelized
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the water to the boil with a pinch of salt and add the bulgur. Let it cook for 10–15 minutes, until it’s soft and plump. Drain, then put back into the saucepan and cover
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Toss with the bulgur and the roasted vegetables, and add the parsley and lemon zest. Check the seasoning. Serve on a platter, topped with the sliced chicken breasts.
Source : Great British Chef’s
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.