An expedition team from Qatar summited Mt Elbrus in Southern Russia, the highest mountain in Europe, on August 28. They were part of a team of climbers from Qatar and Kuwait.

Qatar Museums (QM) and its Chairperson, H E Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, tweeted congratulating the team for their achievement.

“Congratulations to our Qatari youth who climbed Mount Elbrus in #Russia as part of #QatarRussia2018 Year of Culture,” her tweet read.

It took six days of preparation for the team to get acclimatised to the climate and ready the body and mind to do the extremely difficult climb to the highest point of 5,642m.  Part of the group’s mission was to promote the importance of mental health in coordination with Ministry of Health and also to promote Qatar Russia year of culture 2018.

“I believe that the best moments in life are those that take our breath away. On August 28th I reached the summit of Mt. Elbrus – the highest mountain in Europe-, 5642m of pure hard work, commitment, and teamwork. ‏I’m grateful with my team, for their support and strength throughout the adventure,” one of the climbers, Fahad Badar, EGM of International Banking, commercial bank.

Another team member Aisha Al Naama posted on her Instagram that it was one of the most challenging experiences in my life, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

“Made it to the summit of Mt Elbrus, the highest mountain in Europe. What an experience! it was one of the most challenging experiences in my life, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I am extremely honoured and proud to carry my country’s flag and I hope I am able to inspire some of you,” her post read.

“Today was one of the toughest/successful days in my entire life. I tested myself in so many levels, mentally and physically. I woke up at 12 a.m. to get ready for the summit that lasted until today noon. Loved every moment of this trip, the group work and support,” a post by another member Dana Al Mannai said.

For more Travel & Leisure articles click here. 

Source: Peninsula Qatar