Serves approximately 8
• 1 handful of sea salt
• 700g (1.5 lb) King Edward potatoes
• 7 eggs (3 whole and 4 whites)
• 55 ml (2 fl. oz) double cream
• 75 g (3 oz) plain flour
• salt and pepper
• 1–2 tbsp vegetable oil
Dill crème fraîche
• 8 tbsp of crème fraîche
• juice of half a lemon
• 3-4 stems of fresh dill, finely chopped
8 slices smoked salmon (2 per person)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Generously sprinkle a baking tray with salt, then prick the potatoes and place them on the tray of salt. Bake the potatoes in the oven for 45–60 minutes.
- Once cooked, cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream, whole eggs, and egg whites together, then whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Add the potato flesh and mix thoroughly to produce a smooth, thick mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and spoon the potato mixture into the pan.
- Cook each pancake for 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked. Depending on the size of the pan, you can cook 2 or 3 pancakes at a time. Ideally, the pancakes should be about 8 cm across and 1 cm high, but you can make them bigger or smaller if you wish. This recipe will make about 10 pancakes.
Dill crème fraîche Put the crème fraîche, lemon juice and dill into a bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Serve the pancakes hot with smoked salmon on top.
Have the dill crème fraîche and black pepper on the table.