It’s safe to say that smooth skin, easy hair removal, thicker lashes and fuller eye brows are on the wish list of most women. Unfortunately, not only are the conventional products often expensive, but they can also involve rubbing synthetic chemicals onto your skin. These chemicals then get absorbed into the bloodstream and have been linked to a wide range of health problems.
Thankfully, there are plenty of highly effective, natural alternatives to these hormone disrupting products that will save you time and money. And guess what? You probably have most of these ingredients in your home already!
The harsh Doha winter started late this year but that did not stop our skin from getting dry.
Our skin needs to be moisturized and hydrated inside-out to cope with the dryness. Here’s what you need:
• 3 tbsp. fresh cream
• ¼ avocado
• 1 tbsp. honey
Blend all the ingredients into a smooth cream puree, apply on to skin and leave it for at least an hour. Rinse off with warm water. This mixture will make your skin look dewy and youthful.
Come another day, Acne!
This one is a self-experienced and the most favorite hack for everyone who wants instant results in getting rid of acne. All you need is:
• ½ an egg
• 2 tbsp. cinnamon powder
Before you apply this mask, a fair warning! This one stings like a B, especially on the first try but the results are amazing. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?
Add cinnamon powder to the egg and whisk well. Apply to your entire face or only the acne affected areas and either set it sit for 1 – 2 hours or sleep with it. It dries off quick so won’t get messy.
Regularly exfoliating your skin is a necessity to get rid of the dead skin build up, to avoid dull skin. After a nice exfoliating routine, your skin looks smoother and lighter.
• 3 tbsp. of fresh cream
• 1 cup of white sugar
• ½ cup of brown sugar
• ½ cup of ground almonds
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
Mix all ingredients well and apply to dry face in a circular motion. Rinse off with warm water, followed by cold water to close all pores. Pat your face dry. The best part? Store it in your refrigerator for future use.
Lashes and brows
Fuller lashes are everyone’s dream & thick brows are back in fashion. It’s time to head over to your nearest grocery and not the aesthetic physician. Get the following together:
• Vitamin E oil
• Castor oil
• Aloe Vera gel
Just clean and old mascara bottle and wand. Fill half the bottle with vitamin oil, a quarter with castor oil and final quarter with 100% pure Aloe Vera gel. Mix well and apply to your lashes and brows every night for a month.
Pearly white smile and confidence is not far, head over to your kitchen for a mixing up a simple paste with the following ingredients:
¼ cup extra virgin oil
2 tbsp organic turmeric powder
Pour the mixture into a jar and allow hardening. Use this anti-inflammatory, stain removing turmeric toothpaste instead of synthetic, store bought fluoride toothpaste.
Say no to Pores
Most of us have visible pores especially in the T-zone area due to two main reasons. First being excess oil and second ageing. Getting them pores to shrink sounds nearly impossible? Until we found this hack! With just two ingredients and 3 days, it’s a good-bye to those open visible pores that you make your skin look aged and dull.
• Fresh lemon juice
• Egg white
Mix lemon juice and the white into a paste and apply to all the areas which you feel has visible pores. This will not only reduce the size of the pores but will eliminate dead cells and excess oil.
Say No to Scars
Getting rid of any type of scar is a slow and long process and most products don’t work like expected. Try out this home remedy and start noticing difference within a week.
• 1 tbsp organic honey
• 1 tbsp freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
• 1 tbsp fresh ground nutmeg
• 1 tbsp powdered cinnamon
Mix the ingredients to form a thick paste, Apply to the affected areas (scarred areas) and leave for 20 mins. Rinse off and pat dry. Then go for a light moisturizer to keep the skin fresh.
Every woman desires smooth-picture-perfect-glowing skin. But why does it seem like flawless skin is too much to ask for? Our skin is fragile, and exposing it to harmful chemicals is always a huge risk to take, so here we have few ingredients mix to get you glowing:
• Aloe Vera
• Vitamin E Capsule
• Rose Water
• Coconut/almond Oil
This mixture can be stored in a container and used for long term. All you have to do is mix the ingredients based on the quantity you want to store. Apply it as a night Cream and see the difference yourself.
Makeup removers are not always gentle on the skin, and these harmful products are a big no- no if you want to avoid wrinkles! An easy solution would be just coconut oil which will remove all the makeup including the raccoon eyes, but this could get a bit greasy. So heres another recipe for the makeup remover:
• 2 tablespoons witch hazel
• 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
• 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera
• 2 drops lemon essential oil
Pour witch hazel, jojoba and aloe Vera into a small container with a lid. Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil. Swirl to combine ingredients. To use, dispense a small amount onto a cotton pad and wipe gently over eye area. Don’t pull or tug.
Ever tried some shaving cream to find it gave you red bumps all over your skin? The harsh and harmful chemicals in the cream and the effect of razor can leave the skin bumpy, reddish and dry. But what if we told you saving cream can be made at home, which will not only do wonders in hair removal but give you glowing and nourished skin.
• 1/2 cup of coconut oil
• 1/2 cup Shea butter
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Eucalyptus essential oil – how many drops you want to use will depend on how strongly you want the shaving cream to smell. I would start with 20 and go from there.
• Set up a double boiler by filling a medium pot with few inches of water and place over high heat. Place a glass pot over the pot making sure the glass bowl does not touch the top of the water level. If it does, then reduce the water as the level is too high. Bring the water to a simmer, and it will gently melt your ingredients that are in the glass bowl.
• Now add in the coconut oil and Shea butter – break the Shea butter up into smaller pieces before adding it so that it melts faster.
• Once everything is melted, transfer to a large bowl and stir in the olive oil. Place in the fridge and leave there until everything has solidified – it doesn’t have to be hard, just no longer liquid-y – kind of like softened butter.
• When it has solidified, transfer to the stand mixer bowl (or use a hand mixer and leave it in the same bowl) and whip for about three minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
• As you are whipping the shaving cream, add the essential oils. You can stop this process periodically and rub a little bit of the cream on your skin to test the scent level and decide whether or not to add more essential oil.
• Transfer to an airtight jar and store in your bathroom
No matter what, love yourself and your body! Comment your own hacks for skin care.
Written by Juweria Ismail
She is a fashion stylist and make-up artist based in Qatar. She loves writing for AllandAbout and spreads love through fashion!